General Procedures to Effect Process Service in New York City

Generally process serving in New York City is a legal activity regulated by the government. Therefore if you do
more than five process service jobs per year in New York City you must be duly licensed as a legal process
server by the City of New York Department of Consumer's Affairs.
Any person over of the age of 18 years, can serve papers in New York City. So if you do not wish to use a legal
process server you may hire a friend or relative to serve your papers as long as they are not a party to the action.
The only problem is that sometimes a friend or relative may not be properly trained to serve process correctly.
Each case and  court may require a different procedure to serve papers. In most circumstances papers are served
in person, by "nail and mail " or by delivering upon a third party (substituted service or subservice). The best and
least scrutinized manner of service is personal service which implies that you serve the Respondent in person
 ("You" means a person or process server who is not a party to the action)
Personal Service on Individual
1...Approach the Defendant or Respondent at her place of business or place of abode or wherever you can find her, identify her by
asking whether she is the person named on the summons or by a photograph or description and hand her the court papers. It's a good
idea to ask about the military status of the individual served ("Are you in the military service of United States or the State of New York
or any other state?")
2...Record the recipient's physical description: gender (Male or Female), color of skin, color of hair, approximate age, approximate
height,approximate weight and other identifying features (Wears prescription eye glasses, has brown eyes, has a gap on her upper
teeth, etc). Avoid confrontations, arguments and scolding the recipient. Avoid giving your opinion on the case but do tell her what the
papers are about;e.g.: "It's a child custody summons directing to appear in Family Court on June 2, 2011".
3...Complete the corresponding affidavit of service, notarize it and file it with Court clerk.
Service of Process Upon a Relative, Friend or Authorized Agent (Substituted Service)
1...Serve the relative and obtain her name and description and relationship to Defendant. Record that information on paper.
2...Send copies of the pleadings by regular mail (and certified mail, in some cases) to the Defendant at the her address.
2...Complete the corresponding affidavit of service, notarize it and file it with the Court clerk.
Service of Process by Nail and Mail
1...Affix the court summons and complaint at Respondent's place of abode on the entrance door.
2...Send additional copies by regular mail (and by certified mail in some cases)
3....Complete the corresponding affidavit of service, notarize it and file it with the Court Clerk.
Service of process is not what your see on T.V. or the movie theater.
There are several shows which wrongly depict the business of process serving. Do not imitate the actions of McElderly, a Bronx process server at All Work Up and Joe the process server of Serving Sara. Those programs are made to entertain, not toreflect correct procedures. All process servers must be careful and respectful. Instead of chasing or harassing the recipients of process,process servers must attempt service in a civil manner, without tricks. If service of process cannot be effected, the process server must write down a report and come
back another time to attempt service again.
We Are Real Life Professional Private Process Servers
We will deliver your court papers in 1-5 business days for a flat process serving fee of $75.00-$95.00 anywhere in the City of New York.For more information, please call us at: 718-277-2968 or send us an email at

Superior Services JD, Inc
54 Bristol St. # 7F
Brooklyn, NY 11212
Phone: 718-277-2968
Fax: 718-345-0244